Greetings on this the Epiphany of the Lord
Readings: Is 60:1-6; Ps 72:1-2, 7-8, 10-11, 12-13; Eph 3:2-3a, 5-6; Mt 2:1-12
Notes: A Manifestation of many types.
- Light to the Gentiles. The Epiphany is sometimes called the Day of the Gentiles.
- Bearing representative gifts is one layer to understand the gifts the Magi brought.
- Bearing the totality of our lives as gifts is another layer.
- Manifestation of our coheirship and co-responsibility.
- Gold – a gift for a King. The finest of all the metals.
- Frankincense – a gift for a priest. A spice used in liturgical worship and sacrifice.
- Myrrh – a burial spice suitable for a prophet of the Lord. A prophet is both the voice of God as well as the one who does and acts as God would have them act.
After some righteous Pharisees came to Jesus to warn him that Herod wants to kill him, quoting Jesus:
Yet I must continue on my way today, tomorrow, and the following day, for it is impossible that a prophet should die outside of Jerusalem (LK 13:33).
Prodigal Son – The Older Brother
Now the older son had been out in the field and, on his way back, as he neared the house, he heard the sound of music and dancing.
He called one of the servants and asked what this might mean.
The servant said to him, ‘Your brother has returned and your father has slaughtered the fattened calf because he has him back safe and sound.’
He became angry, and when he refused to enter the house, his father came out and pleaded with him.
He said to his father in reply, ‘Look, all these years I served you and not once did I disobey your orders; yet you never gave me even a young goat to feast on with my friends.
But when your son returns who swallowed up your property with prostitutes, for him you slaughter the fattened calf.’
He said to him, ‘My son, you are here with me always; everything I have is yours.
But now we must celebrate and rejoice, because your brother was dead and has come to life again; he was lost and has been found.’(LK 15:25-32).
Caravans of camels shall cover you,
dromedaries of Midian and Ephah;
All from Sheba shall come
bearing gold and frankincense,
and heralding the praises of the LORD.
This scripture portion represents Queen Sheba visiting King Solomon bringing gifts.
Lord, every nation on earth will adore you.
It has now been revealed to his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit:
that the Gentiles are coheirs, members of the same body, and copartners in the promise in Christ Jesus through the gospel.
- COHEIRS – not replacements.
- CO-RESPONSIBLE – not free-of-charge, so to speak.
We saw his star at its rising
and have come to do him homage.
Then they opened their treasures
and offered him gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh.
- We offer gifts of tokens to honor his glory.
- We offer gifts of self to effect our relationship.
- We offer to take up the salvific mission in partnership.
Peace be with you,