Greetings on this the First Sunday of Advent
Readings: Is 2:1-5; Ps 122: 1-2, 3-4, 4-5, 6-7, 8-9; Rom 13:11-14; Mt 24:37-44
Notes: Life is full of surprises. Actually we often say, don’t be surprised that there are surprises.
Advent is the looking forward to the coming of the King!
As it was in the days of Noah, people seem to live like without regard to the consequences of their actions or inactions. But also ignoring the divine aid available to them.
God said to Noah (seven times he spoke to Noah, abbreviated here):
- God said to Noah: I see that the end of all mortals has come, for the earth is full of lawlessness because of them. So I am going to destroy them with the earth. I will establish my covenant with you. You shall go into the ark, you and your sons, your wife and your sons’ wives with you.
- The LORD said to Noah: Go into the ark, you and all your household, for you alone in this generation have I found to be righteous before me.
- Then God said to Noah: Go out of the ark, together with your wife and your sons and your sons’ wives.
- God blessed Noah and his sons and said to them: Be fertile and multiply and fill the earth.
- God said to Noah and to his sons with him: See, I am now establishing my covenant with you and your descendants after you.
- God said: This is the sign of the covenant that I am making between me and you and every living creature with you for all ages to come: I set my bow in the clouds to serve as a sign of the covenant between me and the earth.
- God told Noah: This is the sign of the covenant I have established between me and every mortal being that is on earth.
Two modern parables:
The Leaking Roof
Man to his neighbor: My roof has a leak.
Neighbor: You want I recommend a roofer to fix it?
Man to his neighbor: Nah, it’s the dry season.
Drinking Too Much
Dr to patient: Listen, Johnny, you can’t survive drinking 41 shots of whiskey at a time.
Johnny to Dr: OK, so the limit is 40 then.
In our humorous examples I am sure you would agree that the person with the problem isn’t really engaging in reality but instead a sort of wishful thinking about life, decisions and consequence. Jesus warns us in a similar way:
So too, you also must be prepared, for at an hour you do not expect, the Son of Man will come.
How big was the ark? As many as wanted to come in.
Highlight of Advent gospel readings: https://gerrypalermo.files.wordpress.com/2022/11/advent-three-year-cycle.jpg
- AV1: The Unknown Day and Hour (Sign of Noah).
- AV2: The Preaching of John the Baptist (Repent!).
- AV3: The Messengers from John the Baptist (John’s self-doubt).
- AV4: The Birth of Jesus (Joseph’s vision).
Father Duffy: https://www.fatherduffy.com/he-sent-me-to-proclaim/
They shall beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning hooks; one nation shall not raise the sword against another, nor shall they train for war again.
Let us go rejoicing to the house of the Lord.
I rejoiced because they said to me, “We will go up to the house of the LORD.” And now we have set foot within your gates, O Jerusalem.
Pray for the peace of Jerusalem! May those who love you prosper! May peace be within your walls, prosperity in your buildings.
Brothers and sisters: You know the time; it is the hour now for you to awake from sleep.
But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the desires of the flesh.
Show us Lord, your love; and grant us your salvation.
So too, you also must be prepared, for at an hour you do not expect, the Son of Man will come.”
Jesus said to his disciples: “As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man.
They did not know until the flood came and carried them all away.
Peace be with you,