Greetings on this the Memorial of Saint Francis de Sales, Bishop and Doctor of the Church
Readings: Heb 10:1-10; Ps 40:2 and 4ab, 7-8a, 10, 11; Mk 3:31-35
Notes: (Alternate title of the Homily: Rescuing Jesus – which title do you like better?)
Jesus loved his family and they loved him. His family, worried about Jesus, deeply worried.
- His family, worried about Jesus and his confrontations with the religious and political authorities, they came to rescue him.
- His family, worried about his eating so little, doing so much and being pressed on every side by strangers, they came to rescue him.
- Seeing his great generosity, holiness and healing spirit, being taken advantage of by one and all, his family worried about him, so they came to rescue him.
- Seeing Jesus in proximity of danger, dangerous men and evil spirits, his family worried about him, so they came to rescue him.
Instead they found:
- Jesus confident in his mission.
- Jesus selecting men (the disciplines and Apostles) to follow in his path.
- Jesus challenging all the more those who would destroy themselves by sinning against the holy Spirit.
- Jesus willing to be poured out that we might be willing to enter the circle.
Circle of the Lord
Now, who has stood in the council [circle] of the LORD, to see him and to hear his word? Who has heeded his word so as to announce it? (Jer 23:18).
Had they stood in my council [circle], they would have proclaimed my words to my people, They would have brought them back from their evil ways and from their wicked deeds(Jer 23:22).
I will gather you, Jacob, each and every one, I will assemble all the remnant of Israel; I will group them like a flock in the fold [circle], like a herd in its pasture; the noise of the people will resound (Mic 2:12).
Be seated, be family.
Come to the Lord’s circle.
“A spoonful of honey attracts more flies than a barrelful of vinegar.”
The law has only a shadow of the good things to come.
The writer of Hebrews places the words of Psalm 40:7-8 in the mouth of Jesus:
“Sacrifice and offering you did not desire, but a body you prepared for me; holocausts and sin offerings you took no delight in. Then I said, ‘As is written of me in the scroll, Behold, I come to do your will, O God.’”
Here am I Lord; I come to do your will.
Blessed are you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth; you have revealed to little ones the mysteries of the Kingdom.
- Previously Mark: When his relatives heard of this they set out to seize him, for they said, “He is out of his mind.”
- Now present Mark: The mother of Jesus and his brothers arrived at the house.
A crowd seated around him told him, “Your mother and your brothers [and your sisters] are outside asking for you.” But he said to them in reply, “Who are my mother and [my] brothers?” And looking around at those seated in the circle he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers. [For] whoever does the will of God is my brother and sister and mother.”
Come enter the circle.
Peace be with you,