Greetings on this the Tuesday of the Second Week of Lent
Readings: Is 1:10, 16-20; PS 50:8-9, 16bc-17, 21 and 23; Mt 23:1-12
Notes: Psalms 50 and 51.
- Psalm 50 shakes me every time I read it.
- Psalm 50 is a rebuke of a hypocritical Church (not everyone, not everywhere, not all the time but…).
- Psalm 51 shakes me every time I read it.
- Psalm 51 it is a rebuke for my personal hypocrisy (not every time, not everywhere but…).
Jesus hits them both in today’s gospel portion!
Put away your misdeeds from before my eyes; cease doing evil; learn to do good.
Make justice your aim: redress the wronged, hear the orphan’s plea, defend the widow.
To the upright I will show the saving power of God.
“Why do you recite my statutes,
and profess my covenant with your mouth,
Though you hate discipline
and cast my words behind you?”
Verse before the Gospel
Cast away from you all the crimes you have committed, says the LORD,
and make for yourselves a new heart and a new spirit.
In today’s gospel portion comes the most striking rebuke of fake religiosity. Hence, for many the word itself, religiosity, has taken on its only meaning in the negative. The secondary meaning: an intense, excessive, or fervent religiousness has been reduced to this: an excessive, or even hypocritical religiousness.
Language has changed to mirror the truth in our current age.
Jesus spoke to the crowds and to his disciples, saying,
“The scribes and the Pharisees
have taken their seat on the chair of Moses.
Therefore, do and observe all things whatsoever they tell you,
but do not follow their example.
- Do Justice – the preaching is good, the practice of justice must be reviewed and adjusted.
- Do Burden – yourself, not others. Our burden is the Cross assigned to us.
- Do Lift a finger – to Help!
- Do Honor – all you meet even those who have lost their sense of dignity.
- Do Greet everyone – with a cheerful smile!
- Do Exalt – Christ, and only him and your love for him!
- Do humble yourself, not others in humiliation (this one stings me actually).
For fun here is my repartee with some far right nut-jobs on Discus (The Remnant Newspaper) – you have to scroll to get to the funny parts. https://gerrypalermo.files.wordpress.com/2022/03/deacon-gerry-palermo-c2b7-profile-c2b7-disqus.pdf
- I’d rather ask the slave not the master about the rightness of slavery.
- Please note Canon 1369 warning to Bishops who utter grave injury, insult, excited hatred against the Church or religion which includes the faithful. This was blocked by the site. I wonder why?
- In regards to progressive people, they are attacked by the right with evocative words like
“leftists”, “communists”, etc….They have used the words as political clubs for so long they have lost all real meaning and are only meant as amorphous shadows to cast over one’s opponents in order to discredit what they are saying without having to do the legitimate work of actually refuting their arguments.
- A vacuum abhors fresh air.
- It seems you like to insult above all things. Did you win the contest of fewest words strongest insult?
- Judging me a dinner (denier) is easy prey. Do you pull the legs off of spiders too?
- Interesting reply. I guess the best defense is to be offensive.
- Ever hear the phrase hell bent? Be careful of misusing the faith.
You see, I have things to confess too. Lack of charity for the ill-informed, for one.
Peace be with you,