Greetings on this the Memorial of The Queenship of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Readings: 2 Thes 1:1-5, 11-12; Ps 96:1-2a, 2b-3, 4-5; Mt 23:13-22
Notes: The lectionary reading of the Matthew ‘seven woes’ is a three day effort (425, 426, 427).
- Monday, we begin with the first three.
- Tuesday, we do the next two.
- Wednesday, except it is the Feast of Saint Bartholomew, Apostle would the last two. But the cycle this year is interrupted because that is the dynamics of the cycles.
So this year the FIVE of Seven woes only. It is enough to make the point this year.
- You lock the Kingdom of heaven before men.
- You traverse sea and land to make one convert, … a child of Gehenna.
- [You say] ‘If one swears by the temple, it means nothing, but if one swears by the gold of the temple, one is obligated.
- You pay tithes of mint and dill and cummin, and have neglected the weightier things of the law: judgment and mercy and fidelity.
- You cleanse the outside of cup and dish, but inside they are full of plunder and self-indulgence.
These are the madness’s of the Church.
It’s an infection that comes from time to time and place to place.
We have fallen into a logos-only faith losing our pathos, which is the first of all reasoning by humans.
The rock of the present Vatican palaces is certainly not the base on which Jesus would have built his church. The price that has to be paid by an institutional church that bases itself on power is to live in permanent disputes, conflicts, crusades, and wars with other powermongers, now allied with them, now pulling them down from the thrones and excommunicating them (Leonardo Boff, Theologian, Thoughts and Dreams of an Old Theologian, p. 66).
This is the Church!
Beyond the hollow recanting of prayer.
Beyond the evidence of sin and categorical defect so eloquently detailed by Saint Thomas Aquinas. Excellent work but in the hand of hypocrites, disaster!
The early writing of Paul, unencumbered with categories, brings to light the service of the Church. Because it’s about you!
- Blessings, Grace and Peace in God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
- We are witness to your growth in holiness.
2a. We thank God always for you, brothers and sisters.
2b. Your faith flourishes ever more.
2c. Your love of every one of you for one another grows ever greater.
2d. We ourselves boast of you in the churches of God.
2e. Your endurance and faith in all your persecutions and the afflictions you endure.
- You may be considered worthy of the Kingdom of God for which you are suffering.
- We always pray for you.
- Our God may make you worthy of his calling.
- Powerfully bring to fulfillment every good purpose and every effort of faith.
- That the name of our Lord Jesus may be glorified in you.
- And You in Him.
The life of the Church is your life.
The purpose of the Church is to help you.
Proclaim God’s marvelous deeds to all the nations.
Announce his salvation, day after day.
Tell his glory among the nations;
among all peoples, his wondrous deeds.
My sheep hear my voice, says the Lord;
I know them, and they follow me.
Jesus’ solemn warning to the leadership of the Jewish people then is exactly the same as his warning to us today. We must be ever vigilant to repent and change our behavior when it falls into these woes. Self-focused, clericalism, non-Gospel sense when reading of the Gospels, misapplication or non-application of Mercy and Grace and the lust for domination of all.
Peace be with you,