I hope you had a wonderful Mother’s Day!
In the gospel reading yesterday two of the disciples questioned Jesus.
Thomas wanted Jesus to show them the Way.
Philip wanted Jesus to show them the Father.
This is a progression of questions Thomas first, Philip second. Each of their questions were a reflection upon what Jesus had just proclaimed.
Where I am going you know the way – Thomas then asked his question
If you know me, then you will also know my Father – Philip then asked his question.
In summary, Jesus provides a four part answer with a 5th as observation.
(1) The words that I speak to you I do not speak on my own (Unity of purpose)
(2) The Father who dwells in me is doing his works (Work in common)
(3) Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me (Trust in person)
(4) or else, believe because of the works themselves (Trust in the work)
(5) whoever believes in me will do the works that I do (Work in common).
Jesus is equating the Way with the Father in both person and in activity.
If you ever question what Believing is… it is in the doing.
Perhaps this will help, what is Mother? In the final analysis it is the person and the doing that makes for Mother.