A news crew came with me today. I guess the Covid-19 story remains a high priority in the news.
This home visit was for food delivery and home sanitation. That was the plan.
Things went according to plan, put frozen food away and set up UVC lamps throughput the house.
Then outside go through each of the 25 items given with short tutorial on use. Masks, sanitizer, gloves, vitamins, etc, and a variety of course cleaners.
The Mom was sick, really sick. Negative? How long ago? Need to retest Saturday.
The children were great. The teen girl especially. I had her assemble the contactless thermometer and the finger O2 meter. Taught her how to operate and record values. We practiced several times.
She was so proud of her new skills and responsibilities. This is serious business. She has a role in keeping her family safe. I’m proud of her too.
We discussed what high and low ranges are for each measurement. Who to call if abnormal high HR or abnormal low O2 sat. That’s what you do when you’re 14 and you love your family.
Yesterday: This is palm beach post reporter Joe Capozzi. My story is online. Let me know if there have been any developments since we last spoke.
But Jesus came and touched them, saying, “Rise, and do not be afraid.”
And when the disciples raised their eyes, they saw no one else but Jesus alone.
On the Feast of the Transfiguration, do you see Jesus as he is? He is a daughter who braves the future for love.
Going to the Deserted Place
Greetings on this the Eighteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time
Readings: IS 55:1-3; PS 145:8-9, 15-16, 17-18; RM 8:35, 37-39; MT 14:13-21
Summer of Our Discontent
- 1964, Meridian, Mississippi
- 2020, Anywhere, USA
In 2020 we mourn the loss of several Civil Rights leaders…
When Jesus heard of the death of John the Baptist, he withdrew in a boat to a deserted place by himself.
The Gospel reading today starts with a rather startling point.
John the Baptist was murdered and Jesus withdrew.
At first glance you might be very disconcerted by this reaction.
Why? Well, among many things we mourn the dead, we have the liturgy of intercession for the dead and those mourning them. Even this Wednesday I will preside over a Funeral Outside of Mass for the twin purpose of (1) Intercession and invocation of the Mercy of God; and (2) Prayer of supplication for the grieving that in both purposes we may know the love of God in the paschal mystery and glorious resurrection.
But the death of John the Baptist wasn’t a simple death. It was an execution. John, having challenged King Herod, was beheaded.
The death of John is the most radical rejection of the baptism of repentance – killing the messenger.
Jesus withdrew to the deserted place and it became a great nonverbal message in the gospel. It is the message that can reach those guilty of murder.
The Message of John
Hardly anyone misses the message of John the Baptist. John preached the baptism of repentance. John called everyone who approached him to consider their actions and the commandments and make some changes. The gospel of Luke gives a really detailed account of these types of fruitful encounters.
John prepared the way of the Lord. Or more specifically. John helped us to prepare for the Lord.
The Deserted Place
When Jesus withdrew the crowd heard of it. They followed him.
Jesus went by boat – a straight line. The people walked/wandered through hill and dale to get to him.
They left behind any and all comforts, food, weapons, and all their possessions.
They knew something about Jesus was special. They wanted him.
In fact the point is that they valued nothing but him and his miraculous ways.
They wanted to enter the deserted place because that is where he is.
Where is the Deserted Place
This is a deserted place and it is already late; dismiss the crowds so that they can go to the villages and buy food for themselves.
The disciples were worried. Of course it was for the ordinary needs of the people. Very much appreciated and expected.
Jesus asks them to look beyond. Beyond the body, the wealth, the possessions.
Surrender the five loaves and two fish to him.
Surrender in the deserted place.
And be filled with every good, thing, God’s being.
The Most Deserted Place
In the center of your soul.
In the center of your soul Jesus has ‘retreated’. He rests there waiting for your return. Taking your attention away from possession and the belly.
There you will find Jesus who will restore you, feed you, speaking to you.
Go to the deserted place. Find everything.
Peace be with you,
We’ve got lots of troubles. We have many mistakes in our past and even in the current time. We confess them. We repair them. We stand up after falling down.
E pluribus unum!
We can find a way forward holding onto the genius of our Native American heritage, the welcoming of new arrivals and building a land of freed persons.
Below the four supplications of the song America the Beautiful!
God shed His grace on thee
And crown thy good with brotherhood.
God mend thine every flaw,
Confirm thy soul in self-control,
Thy liberty in law!
May God thy gold refine,
Till all success be nobleness,
And every gain divine!
God shed His grace on thee
And crown thy good with brotherhood.
Key Referenced Letter – Archbishop Carlo Maria Viganò open letter to Donald Trump
Reply – Archbishop Carlo Maria Viganò open letter to Donald Trump
Concepts in the letter
- There are more children of light than of darkness but the children of light are held hostage by the children of darkness who control the media, government, politics and economics.
- Offspring (behavior reference) the children of light are imperfect but struggling to do good in its variety of forms.
- Specifically speaking out against: those who want to demolish family, accumulate undue wealth, foment internal division and war, and accumulate power.
- Projection: children of darkness are the Deep State.
- Projection: children of darkness are the Deep Church.
- Projection: COVID event is wielded as a tool used against the children of light.
- Projection: Civil Unrest (protests against police violence) event is wielded as a tool used against the children of light.
- Projection: Faithful Shepherds and Unfaithful Shepherds align specifically with the Deep State.
- Masonic principals are the driving thought process for the civil unrest and the COVID-19 response.
- The media is determined to destroy Christianity wittingly or unwittingly.
Endorse President Trump as:
- Donald Trump’s Deep State is one in the same with what the Church would/could describe as the Deep State.
- Donald Trump’s Invisible Enemy is one in the same with what the Church describes as the Invisible Enemy.
- President denounced persecution of Christians.
- President attended March for Life.
- President proclaimed National Child Abuse Prevention Month.
- Recommends prayer by and for the President. Does not actually reference any prayer by the President but suggests that if he prays the Bishop is united with him.
Missing Concepts – implied Fallacies of Archbishop Carlo Maria Viganò
- Donald Trump’s Deep State is not one in the same with what the Church would/could describe as the Deep State is undefined.
- Donald Trump’s Invisible Enemy is not one in the same with what the Church describes as the Invisible Enemy.
- Deep State verses professional Civil Service not addressed and one of immediate concern.
- Deep Church is a concept of corruption and the need for Church renewal not fitting for a topic in this letter nor the reason to endorse Trump.
- Fail to recognize the Media right and left have lost their reporting integrity in equal parts.
- See President’s comments at March for Life below. Hardly anything close to holy.
- See Church distain for the President’s clear the mob actions below. Hardly an act that should be praised in the timing or its intent.
- Gives President Trump a pass on the fact he is who has demolished family, accumulated undue wealth, foments internal division and war, and accumulates power.
My First comment on Remnant Newspaper on Bishop’s letter:
Disturbing letter that sets aside serious problems with violent policing, sacrilege of holy places, the pandemic and general displeasure at President Trump’s instability. Shameful letter.
Responses on site – https://remnantnewspaper.com/web/index.php:
- Bad Cleric
- A joke
It is a gigantic leap of presumed power to align President Trump with the Catholic Church and to align just about anybody else with the children of darkness. Endorsing him is at the least a questionable act. For millions President Trump personifies the very evil you decry. It was in fact a shameful letter.
The most positive thing I can say on this letter is indeed pray. Pray without preconception of the arrogance of knowing from your excess and treasure. No, pray from the poverty of your spirit.
Peace be with you,
- Children of light (the preeminent Christian focus and phrase).
- Children of darkness (usually associated with the Modernist movement). See Encyclical Letter of Pope Pius X PASCENDI DOMINICI GREGIS.
- Offspring of the Woman
- Offspring of the Serpent
- Law of God
- Kingdom of Heaven
- Deep State – (circa 2000) – an alleged secret network of especially nonelected government officials and sometimes private entities (financial services and defense industries) operating extra-legally to influence and enact government policy.
- Deep Church – No known generally accepted reference except to say shares the Deep State worries. Specific to the Church are the financial, sexual and liturgical norms of the Church being violated, diluted and ignored by a secret network..
- Invisible Enemy – A Virus. A Satan. An unholy appliance between the Deep State and Deep Church. Multiple meanings.
References Used In His Letter
- Appeal – Veritas Liberabit Vos (A document he wrote and posted and of which I previously responded).
- Titular Archbishop of Ulpiana – modern Kosovo Serbia.
- Apostolic Nuncio – former diplomat to the USA.
- Masonic references:
- New World Order
- Solve et Coagula – Dissolve and Coagulate (an Alchemy)
- Universal Brotherhood
- Covid Emergency.
- Street Protests in USA and Europe.
- Visit to the National Shrine of Saint John Paul II – link to article – https://www.washingtonpost.com/religion/2020/06/02/trump-catholic-shrine-church-bible-protesters/
- March for Life 2020 – link to actual text – https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/remarks-president-trump-47th-annual-march-life/
- National Child Abuse Prevention Month declaration – https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/proclamation-national-child-abuse-prevention-month-2020/
The appeal makes no attempt to document or prove any of its medical assertions.
- The freedom of worship, expression and movement have been disproportionately and unjustly restricted in the name of good medicine.
- Doubt of the COVID-19 contagiousness, danger and resistance to the virus.
- To approve and spend money on ineffective vaccines and treatments.
- To develop vaccines from aborted fetuses (he may have meant this as a generalized warning).
The appeal maintains that the true purpose of the epidemic response is:
- The epidemic is a pretext to control the population.
- To impose a permanent restrictions on freedom.
- To isolate populations, i.e., ageism, ethnic or racial segregation.
- To criminalize personal and social relationships, i.e., religious people.
- To ignore shady business interests wanting to profit from the virus.
- To allow experts to enjoy immunity of prosecution.
- To reduce our lives to a virtual reality alone.
- To establish an odious technological tyranny.
- To eventually establish a world government beyond all control.
The appeal uses good and solid Catholic positions as well as the long standing governance worries into a certain synthesis of an argument of these multiple worries and concerns. It is an interesting blend of nationalism, Catholicism, and governance by way of political convention. Taken in context of the political language of the day, it is completely intertwined with American political drama.
It is better to describe the intention of the letter this way: Given the supernatural powers that attempt to subject humanity and the Church to oppression the Bishop sees the COVID-19 pandemic as a handy pretext to push forward this evil agenda.
The caution are as follows:
- Medical assertions #1 to #4 above in the United States are matters of reasonable differences of opinion in support or against these statements (except #4 which seems a flip in for flavor).
- Worldwide you would have to take a country by country review with a skeptical eye toward totalitarian nations.
- As to the true purposes, I don’t buy most any of it. It’s a virus. It kills people and would by the millions if no intervention is attempted. We have hundreds of year experience with epidemics. No credible exaggeration.
- The Church by the way once enjoyed ‘worldwide’ domination and simply had no problem with it. Just a reminder that those who dominate see no problem.
- The disintegration of treaties and multi-State agreements makes the idea of a world government to be much less of a worry. Perhaps natural resource wars, trade wars and regional wars are a more immanent emerging problem.
Church Integrity – Free to
- To govern itself.
- To govern its members.
- To perform its evangelization of the Good News.
- To administer the Sacraments as the perpetual gifts of the Christ.
- To opine and participate on governance of the population.
- To offer prayer and supplication in the Name of God and His Son Jesus Christ for the salvation of and peaceful existence for humanity.
I don’t think any Catholic differs in this opinion. We must also agree that the Church, like the human family it is composed of, continues to learn the deeper meanings of the Gospel and adjust its social-cultural opinions accordingly. Faith and Science (including Sociology) play a part in informing the Church and the results in changes to the changeable doctrine. The steadfast and unchangeable remain. The wisdom to know the difference is a dynamic, constant progression in time just as the Divine revelation itself was and is a progression in time.
Real Common Good Worries
- The virus need a cooperative and reliable response from all segments of the society. We are all at risk when any fail to do their part.
- In the USA, some States suggested closing and some Sates ordered closings. In all cases, the Church decided on its own what to do. It wasn’t the State that restricted gatherings, the Church of its own good judgment decided so. Even still, the Mass continued with smaller gatherings according to the good judgment.
- In other countries these worries are more palpable and such concerns should be addressed regionally.
- Many people of good will and with no religion certainly agree about unregulated technology as tyrannical.
- Many people of good will and with no religion agree that unregulated medical-industrial complex as oppression.
Irresponsible Arguments – Responsible Leadership
It is irresponsible to address the World Domination worry as the preeminent concern of this virus. We should not mirror the behaviors of others who commingle arguments in order to provide greater support for our core positions. It is beneath the Church to do so. The anti-religious have been around a very long time. Let’s not be their mirror.
Peace be with you,
Meaning to sacred Scripture Genesis…
In pain you will bring forth children;
Yet your desire will be for your husband.
A small blog entry with deep affection. My thanks to all women in ministry in the home, at work and in the Church.
Thank you for loving.
4-26-20 mass link
A link to the 2nd Sunday of Easter Mass:
Greetings on this the Second Sunday of Easter
Readings: Acts 2:42-47; PS 118:2-4, 13-15, 22-24; 1 Ptr 1:3-9; Jn 20:19-31
In our first reading we see even in the midst of conflict, danger and oppression, the Apostles and followers are living in peace.
They lived a communal life, celebrated the ‘breaking of bread’ and prayer.
Even among their oppressors and conquerers, who witnessed their way of life, marveled. Scripture notes The Way enjoyed the favor of all the people. Both for their internal peace and their embracing of the estranged.
Do we live this way?
How, yes? How, no?
The second reading confirms some elemental points. We are not immune from suffering through trials. In fact, how we act during trial is what will be our testimony at the Revelation of Jesus Christ.
Peter said a genuine faith will be revealed in trial and suffering and the forbearance we exhibit are as precious as gold. Yet more than gold but that it proves by charity we really are praising, honoring and glorifying God.
Wounds Fear and Peace
How beautiful the Gospel of John testifying to the Mercy of God! Here Thomas put your finger here.
It is a marvel that God allows us to wound him. Yet he wants us to learn from and be released from the bondage of these wounds.
Do not be afraid. Twice repeated.
Mercy is stronger that the wounds. Mercy thinks beyond mistakes. Mercy calls us to the Divine Life.
Let Us Follow Him
Following the path of mercy can be difficult. Our current crisis brings our most difficult trials upon our heads.
Let us be merciful. Let’s live in community. Let’s share the sacred bread that is Jesus. Let us be kind to stranger and enemy.
Let us put our hand into the side of Jesus that his Mercy be real for us and for all.
Let the course of our lives bring honor, praise and the favor of the people so that Christ may be known.
For Our Sake – Mercy
For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world. I ask God to do that. I ask also from you.